There’s been a lot of hype about the keto diet. More and more people are going keto to manage their weight and overall health.
If you’re curious or wondering if this diet is for you, read on! I’m here to give you a quick low down on the KETO DIET!
What is it?
The ketogenic diet or keto diet, is a strict low carb high fat diet. The idea is to put the body into a state of ketosis.
Ketosis is a metabolic process where the body uses fat for fuel instead of glucose. This occurs when the body has drained all of its carbohydrate stores – during times of fasting, starvation or when carbohydrate intake is limited. The process involves the breakdown of fats in the liver to produce ketones.
Ketones are an alternative fuel, which can continue to fuel the brain (the brain can only run on glucose or ketones) and the body.
Essentially, you become an efficient fat burning machine.
The nature of this diet is benefitial for people with Type 2 diabetes, prediabetes or insulin resistance . This is because fat does not impact insulin the same way as carbs and proteins . Low carb intake helps with managing blood sugar levels.
LOW carb, HIGH fat
5% of carbs = 15-20g of carbohydrates a day!
1 small banana = 23g of carbs
Carbs are found in foods such as cereal, bread, pasta, rice, noodles, legumes, fruits and some starchy vegetables (beetroot, parsnips, potatoes etc).
- Non starchy vege (leafy greens, brussel sprouts, broccoli, kale, spinach, rocket, bok choy etc)
- Fatty fish (salmon, mackerel, tuna, herring etc)
- Red meat (grass-fed beef, pork, lamb etc)
- Turkey, chicken (free range)
- Omega-3 eggs
- Unprocessed cheeses (mozzarella, cheddar, cream cheese etc)
- Full fat milk (limited amounts as milk contains the sugar lactose)
Fats and oils
- Nuts and seeds (almonds, flaxseeds, macadamias, walnuts etc)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Coconut oil
- Coconut milk
- MCT oils
- Grass-fed butter and cream
- Grass-fed ghee
What to avoid/eliminate?
- High sugar foods (Ice cream, cake, fruit juice, soda, sweets, some sauces and condiments, sweet breads, highly processed low-fat/diet products, foods with sugar alcohols etc)
- Cereal/grain products (breads, pasta, rice, breakfast cereals etc)
- Highly processed fats and oils (vegetable oil, margarine)
- Highly processed foods (chips, biscuits, cookies etc)
- Legumes (kidney beans, chickpeas, lentils, red beans etc)
- Fruit (Most fruits except lower sugar fruits such as berries)
- Starchy vegetables (potatoes, parsnips, sweet potatoes, peas, carrots etc)
This is NOT your GREEN LIGHT to load up on highly processed fatty foods and junk food.
It is about moving away from highly processed foods, vegetable oils, foods filled with trans fat and omega-6, and margarine. This practice should apply to EVERYONE, not just for people on a keto diet.
- The keto diet is suitable for people with specific conditions
- It is pretty extreme and it is not for everyone
- It can be for people who have metabolic diseases
- Before you get into ANY diet, pls do your research + get help/advice from your doctor and dietitian
- Thanks to our uniqueness, two people on the exact same diet can have very different results!
- For any diet to work, you need to make it work for YOU
- It needs to be sustainable and not get in the way of your life
- Most importantly, you need to ENJOY eating and FOOD!
- Find your sweet spot and happy balance!
Let me know if you have any questions!